Saturday, October 2, 2010

A Child of God

Early morning, breakfast, and classes. Sounds all normal right? WRONG!!! Today in Global Studies we had a special guest lecturer: Archbishop Desmond Tutu. He lectured all of class, and even went over by 15 minutes. His lecture was nothing short of awe inspiring. Arch has a way with words that is so mind provoking. He talked about the history of Apartheid in South Africa, things that led to its creation, its continuation, and destruction. Also there was a discussion of the current problems and info we should know of South Africa. Some inspiring quotes he told were:
"When you can make a child of God doubt he is a Child of God, that system is diabolical."
"Apartheid was just a refinement of something that was there from the beginning"
"Hey.... Wake Up..... God has got no one except you"
"Continue to be idealistic.... Dream, dream, dream the craziest dreams"
And my favorite (because of how ironic it was and how perfectly he placed it in his lecture): "Did you know, you are all Africans?"
At the end, he took some questions from students, some of whom asked the most ridiculous of questions. One of them asked, "what's your stance on the new US medical plan?" I mean, why would  you asked Arch something like that? People ask such weird questions some time. After one of the most memorable classes I've ever had, I went to the Garden Lounge to get some work done. Then I saw them getting food ready for lunch: It was Taco Day today! They always know how to plan Taco Day on good days. However, Ben came by and invited me to his art class, one of the classes I've wanted to "sit in" on but couldn't since it was so full. I snatched the opportunity and attended it, and I intend to attend more in the future. After getting some chips and salsa, I went to the library and field office to finalize plans for South Africa. Now that we r getting closer to it, I've more and more wanted to go on a safari since South Africa is world known for its safaris. And it just happened that I ran into my RA who told me that she had organized an independent safari trip and it fit perfectly into my schedule. So I might do that. Feeling better, I decided to go on the fifth deck and get some work done before 6 days of amazing fun. Then came dinner, our logistical preport and bed time. We are getting into Cape Town at 6am, so i have to wake up super early to watch us dock. I'm so excited for South Africa: Table Mountain, Theater Performance in District Six, Safari (possibly), Shark Cage Diving, Township tour by bike followed by soccer with locals, and then just roaming around Cape Town. So much to do! So little to do! LETS DO THIS..... LEEROY JENKINS!!!!
-Nimish
October 2, 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment