Friday, December 10, 2010

A Simple Day

I woke up early again, to tutor Aldin and Genavieve again. These kids are really something: they are excited to learn and adorable, but maybe a little too energetic. Sometimes it seemed a little difficult to hold their attention (there’s only so far the black key notes can interest little kids) since they are so energetic, but it will make me more patient and understand more what its like to teach and deal with kids. After comedy and history, I had a delightful lunch of mashed potatoes. It’s interesting how a little change can taste that different (“mashed” potatoes) even though I am already so fed up of potatoes. At 2 I went down to tutor Kelly. There I found out that Kelly’s mother wanted to take over in tutoring her, so I was off the hook for that. Since I was now free early and had nothing else to do, I went back to my room and spent more time alone, watching tv shows. I’ve been feeling really uninterested in things recently, like I’m burned out or something like that. And we are not even halfway done yet.. I hope this is something that won’t last because we still have so many amazing things to experience and places to see. Dinner was simple and today was when it hit me how much I miss home food. I cannot wait to get good food in India. Afterwards, I spent a little more alone time before going out and going Zombie Hunting with Ben, Howard, and Megan. In the garden lounge, we found Dino, Aaron, and Nick sitting. After some conversation, we somehow ended up dancing (Aaron teaching us the moves) to Thriller, the Cha Cha, Tunak Tunak (by Daler Mendhi), and a random middle eastern song that Aaron loved. It was quite random, but that’s what I love so much about this voyage, the number of random things that happen. We went to the Open Mic Night, where we witnessed some great performance of music, poetry, and even short stories: one girl shared with us the story of her suicide attempt which was very saddening and intense. After it was over, I felt really inspired and I really wanted to play the piano. However I had no sheet music. I could find some, but with the way my days have been rolling out, I would not have time to do this anyway sadly. As I was walking back to my room, I ran into Jenn and other making signs for Kate for her birthday. I joined them, and at 12 we went to her room and surprised her (funny part, I don’t even know her that well). After the ensuing conversations, I called it a night around 1. Another simple day.
-Nimish
October 12, 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment