Friday, December 10, 2010

Another day, almost to Mauritius

After Macroecon, Global Studies (Professor Ringrose lectured today), and catching up a bit on journaling, I had another lunch. Recently at least, I have never been feeling fully satisfied with the food. I need good food, it’s kind of difficult to be a vegetarian on this ship, especially when you have to eat pasta and potatoes and bread everyday and can’t eat dessert. I met with Sneha, a Indian student from Singapore also on SAS, and who was also doing the Indian preport. We talked about topics we were going to discuss at preport, and after that we had a long conversation with Aaron, Tesia, and Nathalie. I chilled with Nick on deck 6 (who I ran into randomly later), where we saw some whales quite close to ship. Again, I don’t understand why I have been seeing so many whales recently on the open ocean. It’s nevertheless truly wonderful to see these majestic animals in the middle of the ocean, especially since they are not common to see. We went back to Nick’s room and watched some How I Met Your Mother. Dino and I have converted so many people on this ship to watch this show, after all its quite an amazing show. At dinner, the okra was pretty good, but I still did not feel completely full after eating. We had Dino’s pre-birthday cake, before I headed back to my room and chilled. At 8, I went to cultural and logistical pre-port for Mauritius. This Island, which is literally unknown in most of the world, especially back home, seems very beautiful and I can’t wait to see a country outside India dominated by Indian people (they were brought there as indentured servants by the Dutch, French, and English. We went to Kathleen’s room to make plans. I really want to go see the waterfall there and jump off of it. However, the others were determined to go to the beach the first day, celebrate Dino’s birthday that night, and maybe go to the waterfall the next day. I was kind of iffy on this since I knew that they would be drinking, but they would not listen to me, so put some faith in them. Dino, Nick, Michaella, and I went to classroom 1 where we started watching Band of Bothers from the beginning. I better finish it this time. This will be the third time I started watching this show and I’ve only got up to episode 8 out of 10 the last two times. At 12, I was the first one to wish Jacob for his birthday. He is now no longer a teenager. I remember my birthday and the feeling of no longer being a teenager, it was weird. I am excited for Mauritius since it will likely be a relaxing trip. It will be nowhere as hectic as the last stops… or at least I hope.
-Nimish
October 13, 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment